A number of years ago, a credible organization endeavored to build a profile of the planets' population by shrinking the population from 5.7 billion people down to a village of 100 people. In the years since, the world population has grown to about 6.8 billion, however, my guess is that the village profile would look very similar. This village of 100 people would look like this:
- Fifty-seven Asians, twenty-one Europeans, fourteen North and South Americans, and eight Africans.
- Seventy would be non-white.
- Seventy would be non-Christian.
- Fifty percent of the entire world’s wealth would be in the hands of six people.
- Those six people would be citizens of the United States.
- Seventy would be unable to read.
- Fifty would suffer from malnutrition.
- Eighty would live in substandard housing.
- Only one would be college educated.