Friday, January 26, 2007

Death

Sorry for the lack of posting lately; I've been doing piles of research work lately logging major hours in study filling up coil ring notebooks and piecing together some thoughts on the early church. That, and I've been sick, we've started a new blog, and their has been 100% growth at our young adults in the last three weeks. Anyhow, that is my excuse for not writing here.

My excuse for writing here is a coincidence. In the last couple of months I have had two different books given to me by two unrelated and non-connected people who told me that I really need to read the particular book they were giving me. So, without knowing the content or themes of each of these books, I cracked them open and read them.

The first book was about death.

The second book was...wait for it...about death.

I've never really experienced death before too closely; my grandpa died when I was six years old and I had some friends die when I was in high school. Reading these books I began to realize that I have no feelings that I can remember that are directly related to death...and I suppose this is good. I don't want to experience death in any close proximity but at the same time I guess I need to realize that there is no life without death. And that's scary. It's scary to think of what life would be like without someone you love, its scary to think of how I might respond, its scary to consider how they might respond if it were me. I don't think that death, when it comes, will in itself be scary - I more afraid of pain and spiders, but what about the people around me? I hope these two books were only a coincidence.

2 comments:

Jin said...

coincidence is when God chooses to remain anonymous. :)

Dave Wood said...

Death...ah yes...I remember. I remember my dad Nov. 6th. 2005 and my mother in law Aug 23. 2006. Yes I have met death face on...and he does not play fair...
is not kind... and does not care what we think about him or not.

As the great philospher Woody Allen said, "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying." or "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

Yes death happens... you said, "It's scary to think of what life would be like without someone you love, its scary to think of how I might respond, its scary to consider how they might respond if it were me."

Life is tough without them...very very tough...and lonely. I would love to wax on here with biblical paltitudes but the truth is...I just miss them too much.